Skip to main content

A bit of a special anniversary

Hello, how is everyone. Sorry for my slience but my very enjoyable holiday is nearly over. Today at about the time I'm writing this in the early hours of Saturday morning 5 years ago in 2007 I was at Holyhead in my car waiting for a ferry. A ferry to a new job. I left HSF on the Friday evening and drove overnight to Virginia in Ireland to start my new job that I hoped would be good. I never realised at the time the brilliant move I'd made. I'd had lots of jobs up to that point and had been at HSF only a year but it was my longest job. So off I trundle with some trepidation at this new venture, my previous job in Ireland being Nolans. I get there and am introduced to 06CN831 an R500 Topline just over a year old. I was made up at this. And after just a week of UK work I was sent to Portugal, and the rest as they say is history. 5 years is half of my truck driving career. When I started here at 29 it was something like my 19th job! I think that says it all. I'm so lucky in that I had this very specific dream as a child of what my perfect job would be like. That's why I changed jobs so many times, I was looking for it and wouldn't rest till I found it. I sometimes thought I never would but then I got this job. I had such amazing experiences and been to such amazing places backed up by what I think is a great company. My dream job. So finally then I hope you enjoy the little bit of my job I share with you all. I decided to make the videos and website as an antidote to all the Miserable moaning groaning that goes on in this industry. I wanted to be a positive voice amongst the deafening sound of negativity. I've been driving for 15 years professionally this year and throughout my career I've had drivers tell me in 1/5/10/15 years you'll grow to hate it. Well guess what chaps, I love it more than ever and getting into my beautiful lorry gives me just as much a buzz now as my first day on the road. This job is what you make it, so make it good. ONWARD to another 5 years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#News: New DAF Released

Hello one and all. So after much talk the new DAF tulip wagon has been released. It’s rather good looking. The dash has had an entire revamp too making it so much more useable. Digital dash as is becoming the norm now. Bed much more useable. DAF already had the best bed in the business the past 20+ years so it’ll be interesting to see how this one compares. Also I think the extra window in the passenger door is a fantastic idea, though I can hear the drivers moaning about it already! The other day I was thinking about the Leyland Roadrunner. Remember they had an extra window in front? I was wondering why that never caught on. Personally I want as much visibility as possible. Also I imagine many will say how similar it is to other trucks. Fact is a truck now has very specific features that dictate what they look like so there’s fairly a small amount of flexibility designers have. Fuel consumption, cooling, GVW, safety all trump aesthetics.  https://linktr.ee/lorrydriverdotcom  ...

Driver CPC Customer Digital Download Pack

PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW IF HAPPY! (*if not let me know so we can resolve your issue!) No need to sign in or give your personal details. PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE Top Tips Videos Guides EU Drivers Hours Guide Load Security Vehicle Weights Guidance Driving Licence Categories DVSA Driving Goods Vehicles Guide Highway Code Forms & check sites Check Driving Licence Become An LGV/PCV Driver (Application Forms) LGV/PCV Medical Forms Check Driver CPC Hours Report a Company or Driver Find a Weighbridge Social media TikTok Facebook www.twitter.com/lukevernon www.instagram.com/lorrydriverdotcom https://youtube.com/@lorrydriverdotcom https://www.linkedin.com/in/lorrydriverdotcom Click on images below to enlarge and save. Hope to see you again soon! PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE! (No need to sign in)

#ThrowbackThursday: The Londoners

So as you may have seen I’ve been writing much more recently, I love it and I’ve had some really great reactions to these stories of my past so here’s another one! Videos will continue but I’m pivoting more and more to writing, hopefully going to do a lot more for Truck & Driver and possibly other magazines, watch this space! Always open to constructive criticism or offers of assignments. #ThrowBackThursday. So just before Christmas I mentioned my time at Davies Bros, my first driving job. They ran buses and also had their own European tour department, and this was what I was aiming for. I passed my PSV at 19, back then you could get it at 18 but only drive local service bus routes till you are 21. When I turned 21 they started easing me in to coach work with London Express trips. Basically they ran a coach daily from West Wales to London, you’d park up 10 hours then drive back. Needed to be two drivers and the most I think I ever remember taking down was about 6 people, so the wri...