Skip to main content

REVISITING MY CRETE DIARY

Hello chums, while your waiting for the next video I thought I'd repost a diary I posted on Trucknet in 2009 of a trip to Crete. Many of you may never have seen it so I hope you enjoy. This was pre videos, Bertie, lorry-driver.com or even ONWARD! Hope you enjoy.


Well here is my first diary. I have always wanted to do one but have been waiting for the combination a an intresting run with the time to take pictures as I'm normally rushing around.

I started in Manchester on Monday afternoon with 11 pallets of frozen kosher food to pick up.

Was too late for London so loaded at this place on Tuesday morning, one of those dodgy Industrial estates in North London. Had to reverse about 300 meters down this ally to load, glad I walked down there first and did not just drive in.



Then onto Paris for the last collection on Wednesday morning. I'm not used to such an easy life! I actually woke up 3 hours late, but hey ho, nobody said anything.

A quick stop in Macon Truckstop was in order to top up with fuel, with 1400 litre tanks this does not happen to often. Mine's the truck on the right, the other one was on way back from Italy. He had done 14 drops on Monday/Tuesday so was looking a bit tired!



Made it to the last services before the Frejus tunnel before I ran out of hours. Very dark so no pics, but this one was taken morning after in last layby before tunnel just as it was getting light.



Just approaching the tunnel here.

Then on to Ancona for the 6pm Superfast sailing to Patras.

I often see these in Italy, tanks on top of loads, always wondered what they carry, anybody know?



Made the boat in plenty of time. Now anybody who has shipped to Greece will tell you that loading a ferry Italian or Greek style is absolutely chaotic. At one point last year I actually got out of the truck and started shouting at the 3 people telling me to go in different directions. I'm normally the calmest person in the world.

Anyhow being off season it was very quiet.



And sheer bliss when I got on, a cabin to myself, almost unheard of.

This pic is just sailing into Igoumenitsa, the first port of call.



Here they are unloading at Igoumenitsa, give you some idea of how chaotic it can get, although still not too bad.



Some 20 something hours after leaving Ancona we arrive at Patras. A lot of big ferries sail from here to Italy but in my experience Superfast is one of the best ferry companies in Europe.



I was too late to get to Pireaus for the Friday boat so it was a couple of hours down to Harry's truckstop. Its not the prettiest of places but it's safe, cheap and friendly.




Come Saturday morn a nice leisurely lie in then on to Pireaus for another Superfast boat to Crete. I went down nice and early as I was unsure how to get to the port but in the event I drove straight there and found the big red boat, seen here being dwarfed by my huge truck!



Some right old tubs sail to the Greek islands, these look like they should be taken out to sea and scuttled!



Another cabin to myself, although no big deal as the crossing was only 8 hours and got in at 10pm. I actually think I may have been the only foreigner on the boat. Was certainly the only foreign vehicle creating a lot of interest among the crew. I imagine the see a fair few RHD cars but can't imagine many trucks go down there.

A view of Athens from the sea. Notice the delightful brown cloud hanging over it!



Getting off the boat was fun. Everybody comes down the same ramp, everybody trying to get off at the same time.
Have to try and force your way though pedestrians, coaches, cars, trucks and shunters. I sat here watching the ferry reload for an hour, I could not quite believe I have driven a truck to a Greek Island and needed time to take it in!



Stayed in the Port all day Sunday and had a wander around the town, in the process of which I managed to get very sunburnt. Some huge ferries loom over the town. They sit here all day, 2 ferries to do one 8 hour trip a day, very economical. Superfast do 2 trips.

Then come Monday morning onward to the hotel, 25kms away to tip the foods.

Thankfully they actually had a forklift, I was expecting to have to unload 19 pallets by hand.



And that was it, my Crete trip  done and another thing to tick of the list. Shipped back that night, and then to Brindisi the night after, Endeavor Line, whats an awful ferry company! Loaded in northern Italy on the Friday, but not before bring stopped by the Italian Police twice in the space of an hour,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driver CPC Customer Digital Download Pack

PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW IF HAPPY! (*if not let me know so we can resolve your issue!) No need to sign in or give your personal details. PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE Top Tips Videos Guides EU Drivers Hours Guide Load Security Vehicle Weights Guidance Driving Licence Categories DVSA Driving Goods Vehicles Guide Highway Code Forms & check sites Check Driving Licence Become An LGV/PCV Driver (Application Forms) LGV/PCV Medical Forms Check Driver CPC Hours Report a Company or Driver Find a Weighbridge Social media TikTok Facebook www.twitter.com/lukevernon www.instagram.com/lorrydriverdotcom https://youtube.com/@lorrydriverdotcom https://www.linkedin.com/in/lorrydriverdotcom Click on images below to enlarge and save. Hope to see you again soon! PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE! (No need to sign in)

Is It OK To Be Unambitious?

Is ambition essential? Should we always strive for more? Some of us just don’t want to.  In my office last night bopping away to music writing a PowerPoint Driver CPC course and I just realised how happy it makes me. I never expected to find something that would switch me on as much as driving did but somehow I have. That's key with an ADHD addled brain...stuff needs to switch you on. If it doesn’t it’s pointless trying to make it as it never will. It's why my brief period as a transport manager was a disaster! That & fact I don't want to manage anyone. I'm the opposite of power hungry, I'm power allergic, I don’t want to be in charge of anyone, ever. Unfashionable to say in this modern world but all I want from my little business is a comfortable happy life. No ambitions to grow it, no ambitions to employ anyone, no ambitions to get rich. I’ve never actually had any interest in money at all. Happiness is my currency. Also explains why I’m usually broke! It’s ta