Skip to main content

This Drives Me Mad! Sort Yourself Out Lampeter Drivers!¡

Hello all. Hope everyone’s week is going well and if it isn’t we’re halfway through! Not sure why I keep saying things like that when I’ve spent a career where every day is the same! Anyway a little aside today about a practice concerning car drivers especially, though trucks certainly not immune*, inconsiderate parking.

Note I’m not on about double yellows when traffic can pass by easily, though double yellows are generally for a reason, no I’m talking about the sort of idiocy that happens as shown in these pics. My little town is plagued with really crap parking. 

As you know I left hospital unable to walk last year and I had to learn all over again. One thing it did make plain is how many things we don’t even think about, kerbs, rough ground, crossing road etc become mountains to people less able than yourself. When you are looking down at a tall kerb you have to step off, while you’re gripping on to your crutches for dear life and giving all your concentration to just not falling over as you wobble, looking at a kerb you have to negotiate because of bad parking can feel akin to climbing Everest, believe me, even worse when you have to leave the pavement and walk on a busy road. I’m not exaggerating when I say it can be really scary because you run the gambit of possibly falling into road to falling over badly leading you back to the hospital you fought to leave and which with current circumstances are no place anyone wants to end up in. Parking directly on top of a light controlled pedestrian crossing is a special kind of stupid! Not to mention 3 points on your licence Parking there or on the zig zags.

And this is people who can walk round. The kerbs are lowered for a very good reason, wheelchairs, mobility scooters, families with prams etc. And thinking about it deliveries, you can’t pull a pallet over a high kerb with a pallet truck! So, please be considerate, considering  others should be the rock that your driving skill is built on.

*Just to note Truck drivers can be bad too, often parking in bus stops, I used to be as guilty as anyone for this, despite being a bus and coach driver, until I stopped to think what I’m doing. Bus stops and the buses that serve them are designed with mobility issues in mind so please don’t park in bus stops. If the choice for your delivery is a bus stop or on the road causing traffic the road is where you should stop. Car drivers will just have to wait.

Always happy to hear opinions and please share it for a wider audience if you agree, as for most its thoughtless rather than intentional.

Edit:- Graham Conroy on Facebook pointed out another thing I should mention, disabilities aren’t always obvious to the eye. 

Have a great day all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driver CPC Reviews

So the courses are going fantastically well, interesting, with good participants the time seems to fly by. And surprise surprise I’m actually fairly OK at it! This post is where people who have been on my courses to leave a review in comments for promotional purposes! Have a great weekend all. Driver CPC Book H ere

#TruckingDiaries Big Truck, Big Load, Big Hills!

So, was only 3/4 years in the making but here it is! Hope it’s worth the wait, I’m quite pleased with this one. www.buymeacoffee.com/lukevernon   https://linktr.ee/lorrydriverdotcom    

Top Trucks No. 3

This is number 3 in my top truck countdown, as if anyone is interested in my waffle. So back in 2014 Volvo Trucks launched their new innovation, the Dual Clutch, basically it means seemless power transmission as it can pre engage the next gear meaning the revs don’t need to drop. As you’ll know I’m a huge fan of autos so this seemed rather exciting to me. I mentioned online about how much I wanted to drive one but that it may be a while as it was a cost extra. At this point Martin Tomlinson at Volvo Trucks UK messaged me to ask if I’d like their demonstrator for a week. You can guess my excitement! I got even more excited when Whites Transport Services Ltd who I was going to be using it for gave me a run to Italy, the Alps being the ultimate test for any vehicle. So, off we went max weight with a fridge full of lambs. Being a demonstrator from HQ meant this had every conceivable extra fitted and it was fantastic! The dual clutch turned out even better than expected. Not having to drop ...