Skip to main content

#ThrowbackThursday; The Londoners


Happy Thursday one and all. I’ve started to really enjoy these trots down memory lane, when I’m not shocked at the amount of time that has passed! My first driving job was on buses in West Wales, home, at large local operator Davies Bros. They did a wide variety of work so I expected to be there a few years until I got a truck driving job, working my way up to international tours. The bottom fell out of that plan when they went bust & were promptly taken over by First Bus. I had no interest in working at First at the time so when someone showed me an advert for a company called The Londoners in, you’ve guessed it, London I rang up. I went down for an interview. Like an idiot I drove a V8 Range Rover at time so that was no small investment! They had a small yard behind some houses in Peckham! Brabourn Grove, it’s a small industrial estate now.

Being a forward thinking coach company and not trucking they saw me being a 21/22 year old local bus driver from Wales and said ‘when can you start?!’ They offered accommodation with the job, in house with four other drivers on corner of yard. I’ve always been a bit fearless when it comes to changing jobs and I think it stems from that, leaving my parents house in rural West Wales to share with a load of other drivers, they were all Northern (Warrington & Yorkshire if I remember rightly) and very straight talking, it was great! It was a dramatic learning experience. 

Anyhow Mick McCausland the boss must have liked me as after 3/4 months I was give the brand new coach, on left in picture. W875 UGY. A Plaxton on top of a Volvo B7R chassis and fully automatic, heaven. And I loved it. One of the first Londoners coaches to use the new ‘Status Group’ livery which they were now a part of and which would lead to their demise the year after when Tellimgs Golden Miller, those behind what I always thought was the pompously named Status Group pulled the plug. I was elsewhere by then, driving a super high luxury coach round Europe! But that’s another story.

Have a great Thursday all.

Edit just had a search online and found pictures of two really important vehicles! N9 LON, the first Londoners coach I ever drove, drove different ones every day at first, then below what was R8 LON......the first vehicle I was ever specifically allocated! They didn’t want me to be allocated it as it didn’t have a tow bar as having my HGV meant I was one of only 2 I think that could pull the luggage trailer. But I won out, but only for a few weeks before the one at top appeared! I lost a load of pics in a flood years ago so one at top is one of few I have. 21 years ago. 21. Years. Ago! Only 6/7 months of my life were at Londoners but far and away some of the most influential. Leaving the security of Rural West Wales to go to London to be out on tours on own after only 3 days with another driver set up my entire career frankly. I learnt so much so fast and it gave me a totally fearless attitude. Far and away one of if not the most important time in my working life. Great great memories. Thanks for reading my waffling on

Thank you as ever for amazing ongoing donations from you all www.buymeacoffee.com/lukevernon 

https://linktr.ee/lorrydriverdotcom 



#ONWARD 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#News: New DAF Released

Hello one and all. So after much talk the new DAF tulip wagon has been released. It’s rather good looking. The dash has had an entire revamp too making it so much more useable. Digital dash as is becoming the norm now. Bed much more useable. DAF already had the best bed in the business the past 20+ years so it’ll be interesting to see how this one compares. Also I think the extra window in the passenger door is a fantastic idea, though I can hear the drivers moaning about it already! The other day I was thinking about the Leyland Roadrunner. Remember they had an extra window in front? I was wondering why that never caught on. Personally I want as much visibility as possible. Also I imagine many will say how similar it is to other trucks. Fact is a truck now has very specific features that dictate what they look like so there’s fairly a small amount of flexibility designers have. Fuel consumption, cooling, GVW, safety all trump aesthetics.  https://linktr.ee/lorrydriverdotcom  ...

Driver CPC Customer Digital Download Pack

PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW IF HAPPY! (*if not let me know so we can resolve your issue!) No need to sign in or give your personal details. PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE Top Tips Videos Guides EU Drivers Hours Guide Load Security Vehicle Weights Guidance Driving Licence Categories DVSA Driving Goods Vehicles Guide Highway Code Forms & check sites Check Driving Licence Become An LGV/PCV Driver (Application Forms) LGV/PCV Medical Forms Check Driver CPC Hours Report a Company or Driver Find a Weighbridge Social media TikTok Facebook www.twitter.com/lukevernon www.instagram.com/lorrydriverdotcom https://youtube.com/@lorrydriverdotcom https://www.linkedin.com/in/lorrydriverdotcom Click on images below to enlarge and save. Hope to see you again soon! PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE! (No need to sign in)

#ThrowbackThursday: The Londoners

So as you may have seen I’ve been writing much more recently, I love it and I’ve had some really great reactions to these stories of my past so here’s another one! Videos will continue but I’m pivoting more and more to writing, hopefully going to do a lot more for Truck & Driver and possibly other magazines, watch this space! Always open to constructive criticism or offers of assignments. #ThrowBackThursday. So just before Christmas I mentioned my time at Davies Bros, my first driving job. They ran buses and also had their own European tour department, and this was what I was aiming for. I passed my PSV at 19, back then you could get it at 18 but only drive local service bus routes till you are 21. When I turned 21 they started easing me in to coach work with London Express trips. Basically they ran a coach daily from West Wales to London, you’d park up 10 hours then drive back. Needed to be two drivers and the most I think I ever remember taking down was about 6 people, so the wri...