Skip to main content

#DriverShortage; Open Letter To Government

Dear Political Leader,

    It’s rare that transport makes the news, even rarer that we are in the headline news but here we are. It is a giant industry that without exaggeration makes modern life possible. If people remember any long term lesson from this situation it’s that we all rely on this industry for literally everything. I live in hope.

    Instead of lumping yet more work on an already chronically over worked industry and compromising safety because it’s the easier option I’m hoping that someone in government will listen to this idea of mine. An idea that has the potential to solve the Driver Shortage & boost the economy in one hit by putting the onus on  big companies and their inefficiency.

   There are literally many thousands of trucks daily in the U.K. held up for hours and hours at distribution centres needlessly. Instead of making the solution lumping more work on the already over worked professional driver put the onus on big companies to start becoming the efficient machines they could and should be. It really is that simple. This is a U.K. problem, warehouses that take hours to load or unload you are rare on the continent, here they are standard.

   I have heard from hundreds of drivers over this government ‘solution’ and not a single one, not one at all, thinks increasing driving hours is the answer. They, we all think however it sets a dangerous precedent.

   More is in my video but basically the idea is Emergency Legislation, make inefficient companies become efficient, stop lumping all the responsibilities on an already over burdened industry which at best of times is hanging by a thread and attack inefficiency. Driver shortage solved & economy boosted. It really is that simple. 

#DriverShortage; The Solution - 

https://youtu.be/zY772zL-Y_A

Thank you for reading / diolch am ddarllen

Yours Sincerely / Yr eiddoch yn gywir

Luke Vernon, Lampeter, Ceredigion. 

www.lorry-driver.com 

luke@lorry-driver.com

https://linktr.ee/lorrydriverdotcom  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driver CPC Customer Digital Download Pack

PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW IF HAPPY! (*if not let me know so we can resolve your issue!) No need to sign in or give your personal details. PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE Top Tips Videos Guides EU Drivers Hours Guide Load Security Vehicle Weights Guidance Driving Licence Categories DVSA Driving Goods Vehicles Guide Highway Code Forms & check sites Check Driving Licence Become An LGV/PCV Driver (Application Forms) LGV/PCV Medical Forms Check Driver CPC Hours Report a Company or Driver Find a Weighbridge Social media TikTok Facebook www.twitter.com/lukevernon www.instagram.com/lorrydriverdotcom https://youtube.com/@lorrydriverdotcom https://www.linkedin.com/in/lorrydriverdotcom Click on images below to enlarge and save. Hope to see you again soon! PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE! (No need to sign in)

#News: New DAF Released

Hello one and all. So after much talk the new DAF tulip wagon has been released. It’s rather good looking. The dash has had an entire revamp too making it so much more useable. Digital dash as is becoming the norm now. Bed much more useable. DAF already had the best bed in the business the past 20+ years so it’ll be interesting to see how this one compares. Also I think the extra window in the passenger door is a fantastic idea, though I can hear the drivers moaning about it already! The other day I was thinking about the Leyland Roadrunner. Remember they had an extra window in front? I was wondering why that never caught on. Personally I want as much visibility as possible. Also I imagine many will say how similar it is to other trucks. Fact is a truck now has very specific features that dictate what they look like so there’s fairly a small amount of flexibility designers have. Fuel consumption, cooling, GVW, safety all trump aesthetics.  https://linktr.ee/lorrydriverdotcom  ...

#ThrowbackThursday: The Londoners

So as you may have seen I’ve been writing much more recently, I love it and I’ve had some really great reactions to these stories of my past so here’s another one! Videos will continue but I’m pivoting more and more to writing, hopefully going to do a lot more for Truck & Driver and possibly other magazines, watch this space! Always open to constructive criticism or offers of assignments. #ThrowBackThursday. So just before Christmas I mentioned my time at Davies Bros, my first driving job. They ran buses and also had their own European tour department, and this was what I was aiming for. I passed my PSV at 19, back then you could get it at 18 but only drive local service bus routes till you are 21. When I turned 21 they started easing me in to coach work with London Express trips. Basically they ran a coach daily from West Wales to London, you’d park up 10 hours then drive back. Needed to be two drivers and the most I think I ever remember taking down was about 6 people, so the wri...