Skip to main content

Top Trucks No. 3

This is number 3 in my top truck countdown, as if anyone is interested in my waffle.

So back in 2014 Volvo Trucks launched their new innovation, the Dual Clutch, basically it means seemless power transmission as it can pre engage the next gear meaning the revs don’t need to drop. As you’ll know I’m a huge fan of autos so this seemed rather exciting to me. I mentioned online about how much I wanted to drive one but that it may be a while as it was a cost extra. At this point Martin Tomlinson at Volvo Trucks UK messaged me to ask if I’d like their demonstrator for a week. You can guess my excitement! I got even more excited when Whites Transport Services Ltd who I was going to be using it for gave me a run to Italy, the Alps being the ultimate test for any vehicle.

So, off we went max weight with a fridge full of lambs. Being a demonstrator from HQ meant this had every conceivable extra fitted and it was fantastic! The dual clutch turned out even better than expected. Not having to drop revs totally transforms the driving experience. No word of a lie I found that that 540 with Dual Clutch fully loaded would give a 750* a run for its money, and if they were both empty the 540 Dual Clutch would win, honestly. Driving it solo it’s like driving a car acceleration wise. It was amazing. So, time to see how it got over the Alps.

Before this I thought that automated driverless lorries would be a thing eventually but probably not during my career……this totally changed that view and made me realise that the thing that will impede driverless trucks will be legislation as the technology is in most cases already there or very close. Basically I went over the Alps without touching pedals, up and down. Only time I had to use my feet was when stopping completely. The adaptive cruise control was faultless. Set the speed, set distance you want to be from vehicle in front, set the speed you want to come down hills at and that’s it, let the truck do the rest. It performed flawlessly across the entire trip. The way it holds a constant speed down the side of a mountain at max weight is brilliant. I think the only thing full autonomy has to crack now is steering**

It was also one of the best looking trucks I’ve ever driven, that colour and the subtle Volvo livery caught a lot of eyes. This was back in 2018 so I can only imagine how much the technology has moved on. The new FM/FH’s look great, esp with the full screens on the dash. 

Too many drivers seem to see technology as an enemy, they might have a point re autonomous but otherwise no. Trucks now need learning to get the maximum from them as much as they ever did, you have guys bemoaning the demise of the twin splitter on one hand then moaning about something an auto does in the next breath making it clear they haven’t taken time to learn the best way to drive the modern truck. Approach everything with an open mind and you’ll get on much better. If you took a young driver from today and dropped him in the 70’s as people often come out with he’d be lost but in a similar way drop a driver from the 70’s in this and he’d be lost, indeed many older drivers are these days. Be open minded and ready to learn and you’ll gain so much. I bid you good day.

*540 is the max power available with Dual Clutch currently, they can’t handle the torque of a 750

**Im a huge fan of technology but not full automation. I love being a driver. It’ll happen tho, we won’t stop it







Comments

  1. Totally agree Luke, embrace the new technology. It's in our personal vehicles to, so why not commercial vehicles.
    A morning with a trainer would be beneficial but unfortunately transport manages are from the older era & just say get on with it.
    I'm sure these tech filled vehicleswill hopefully encourage new blood.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Means a lot.

Popular posts from this blog

Driver CPC Customer Digital Download Pack

PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW IF HAPPY! (*if not let me know so we can resolve your issue!) No need to sign in or give your personal details. PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE Top Tips Videos Guides EU Drivers Hours Guide Load Security Vehicle Weights Guidance Driving Licence Categories DVSA Driving Goods Vehicles Guide Highway Code Forms & check sites Check Driving Licence Become An LGV/PCV Driver (Application Forms) LGV/PCV Medical Forms Check Driver CPC Hours Report a Company or Driver Find a Weighbridge Social media TikTok Facebook www.twitter.com/lukevernon www.instagram.com/lorrydriverdotcom https://youtube.com/@lorrydriverdotcom https://www.linkedin.com/in/lorrydriverdotcom Click on images below to enlarge and save. Hope to see you again soon! PLEASE LEAVE REVIEW HERE! (No need to sign in)

External Transport Manager

Greetings friends. Just to let you know I’m available as an external transport manager in the Wales traffic area. Happy to do just the standard external TM thing or integrate it with social media promotion for your company. Pop me an email and we can have a chat about your requirements luke@lorry-driver.com   https://linktr.ee/lorrydriverdotcom