Skip to main content

#ThrowbackThursday Goes To Norway


 Here goes with another #ThrowbackThursday! Bit late today sorry. I’ve mentioned before how a regular job of Virginia was taking a Jewish group from Irelands food with them wherever they went, it had been blessed by their own Rabbi. It was a good job as it took you many places trucks might not necessarily go. Took me to Greece a couple of times, including the isle of Crete but the best one was somewhat unexpected.

Information I had been given was after loading head to Denmark, Copenhagen and meet a cruise ship in the port. 8am Monday morning, great stuff, easy run up and could have a 24 hour weekly rest on the way. Got as far as I could and parked up in a service station just outside Copenhagen ready for Monday morning. 7am, up I get, and drive to the cruise terminal. Oh, that’s worrying, no cruise ships! Ring office……’who told you Monday morning?! I should have been Sunday morning!’. I’m not commenting who made the mistake but thankfully it wasn’t me!

Bugger, the cruise ship has a 25 hour head start on me! So where do I need to chase it to I ask……’Flรฅm, Norway’! Brilliant! My favourite country. I can easily get there before the ship! Or so I thought. I knew obviously Norway isn’t in the EU and tried to sneak across the border……that wasn’t to be as a customs man stops me! I’m good at doing the worried and confused act, often comes in hand in situations like this so he was nice and polite as he directed me to the customs parking. But then in my quite extensive experience Norwegians are naturally polite.

Issue is it wasn’t sealed, had no customs documents etc, in fact only had a hand written by me CMR with no mention of what load was beyond food, so it was enormously hard work trying to find a customs agent who would take us on and help. I spend 7 hours answering the phone and walking from office to office before I think someone took pity on me and sorted it all out. A risk on their part as they didn’t know us from Adam and needed to trust we were who we said going where we said we would. But after 8 hours woosh! Into Norway.

Only year before I had driven my old VW camper the length of Norway to Nordkapp and my first time driving abroad on my own as a professional driver was Norway so I knew what to expect. I’m also from West Wales and we have main roads to rival anything Norway has! I got to go through the longest road tunnel in the world, Lรฆrdalstunnelen, 24.5km. It even has stopping places at regular points, I did stop and take pictures but I can’t bloody find them so here’s a random one from Google.

So onward to Flรฅm and a great relief to see the cruise ship still there. Well, a relief to others maybe as I was secretly hoping it would have left and I’d have had to chase it northward! On the coach tours I’d spent a lot of time in Flรฅm as it was a regular visit and where passengers would head off on a spectacular train journey and I’d pick them up at other end. 

Virginia did try and get me a reload from Norway but not being one of our regular destinations proved impossible, which I was sort of happy about as I’d had enough of customs officers for one trip! So down to Copenhagen we went for our reaload with some great memories of one of my careers more unusual trips.

Join me on an overnight Driver CPC! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driver CPC Reviews

So the courses are going fantastically well, interesting, with good participants the time seems to fly by. And surprise surprise I’m actually fairly OK at it! This post is where people who have been on my courses to leave a review in comments for promotional purposes! Have a great weekend all. Driver CPC Book H ere

#TruckingDiaries Big Truck, Big Load, Big Hills!

So, was only 3/4 years in the making but here it is! Hope it’s worth the wait, I’m quite pleased with this one. www.buymeacoffee.com/lukevernon   https://linktr.ee/lorrydriverdotcom    

Top Trucks No. 3

This is number 3 in my top truck countdown, as if anyone is interested in my waffle. So back in 2014 Volvo Trucks launched their new innovation, the Dual Clutch, basically it means seemless power transmission as it can pre engage the next gear meaning the revs don’t need to drop. As you’ll know I’m a huge fan of autos so this seemed rather exciting to me. I mentioned online about how much I wanted to drive one but that it may be a while as it was a cost extra. At this point Martin Tomlinson at Volvo Trucks UK messaged me to ask if I’d like their demonstrator for a week. You can guess my excitement! I got even more excited when Whites Transport Services Ltd who I was going to be using it for gave me a run to Italy, the Alps being the ultimate test for any vehicle. So, off we went max weight with a fridge full of lambs. Being a demonstrator from HQ meant this had every conceivable extra fitted and it was fantastic! The dual clutch turned out even better than expected. Not having to drop ...